When it comes to preparing equipment for harsh winters, brutal temperatures and chilly conditions, the most important thing to consider is preventative maintenance (PM). Preventative maintenance is the regularly performed care to maintain a machine’s prime operating condition and the correction of failures or breakdown before they occur.
Here are some routine methods to help prepare your equipment for a successful winter season:
1) Tune-up Kits. Falcon offers a full tune-up kit specific to single and dual burner machines that includes CAD cells, fuel filters and gaskets. A kit such as this could save a lot of trouble later.
2) Clean the floor and the walls of the machine of any excess material that has built up. Residual material has a direct effect on the efficiency of the machine and can affect the heating system, so make sure to keep your machine as clean as possible.
3) Tires. It’s extremely important to check the tread wear on your equipment’s tires. If a machine is not properly leveled to the tow vehicle, it can cause premature tire wear and cause unnecessary downtime.
4) Double-check all of the safety features. Falcon Asphalt is the leading manufacturer of asphalt hot boxes that are designed to keep workers safe. However, it’s always important to double-check safety features, especially in the winter when there’s inclement weather and low temperatures.
Inspect all hazard and warning lights for operation and maximum visibility. Check to see if there is any material clouding them and either remove it or replace the lights. Lower the rear stabilizer jacks, raise the dump bed on trailers, secure the cylinders with the yellow cylinder block located between the battery box and the hydraulic tank box, and inspect the frame of the trailer and belly of the hot box for any wear or damage.
5) Check tack tanks and spray systems. If your machine has a tack tank and/or spray system, winter is the perfect time to service them as well. Inspect and flush the tack tank with an approved chemical release agent to ensure the bottom is free from any build up of residual material to ensure complete and efficient operation. If you have a spray system, you should cycle it more times than usual with an approved release agent to completely clean the lines and free them from any blockage from hardened material. Also, replace the spray nozzle on the spray wand.
6) Treat the tank. Make sure to treat the diesel tank with an additive that prevents gelling and ensure the tank is full. Make sure to also treat the gasoline motor of the spray system, if applicable, with a preservative to prevent any starting issues later.
Also, you should treat the tank with an approved, high quality, high flashpoint release agent like Soy Solve – making sure to avoid any contact with painted surfaces – to loosen any of the residual asphalt that may remain. If you get any release agent on a painted surface, immediately rinse it with water to protect the paint finish.
Falcon Asphalt Repair Equipment helps customers build “street cred” one pothole at a time. Now, our customers are joining in on the fun and helping build OUR street cred! Check out these top-notch customer testimonials about our FalconNOW quick ship program.
Jordan Snipes from Snipes Drilling, LLC / GHL
“The FalconNOW 5-day quick ship program has a really fast turnaround and got us on the ground running in order to meet our customer’s needs. It’s enabled us to maximize profit and add another facet to our business with patchwork. We turned into a one-stop-shop for contractors, and we couldn’t be happier.”
Bill Peters from the Village of Lemont Department of Public Works
“Our experience with the FalconNOW program actually worked perfectly for our needs. We need board approval to order items over a certain amount, so sometimes the order gets delayed and we end up waiting weeks – sometimes months – to get products. When we ordered with the FalconNOW program, we received our order right away with plenty of time before pothole season. If you need it, you will get it! Just give ’em five days!”
Homer Allen from the City of East Lansing
“The FalconNOW quick ship 5-day program is great because we don’t have to wait for a piece of equipment that usually takes months to get. And not only was it delivered quickly, but the customer service follow up to make sure that everything was correct and the way we ordered it was fantastic. Overall, the turnaround time from start to finish is hands down remarkable, and the machine comes complete and ready to work.”
Even our dealers have great things to say about FalconNOW. Check out this testimonial from Jeff MacDonald of AMACO:
“The benefit of the FalconNOW 5-day quick ship program is flexibility. Customers are able to consider a wide selection of available options in various machine sizes with what, in our industry, is a fast delivery timeframe. Previously, quick delivery was only available with in-stock units with fixed options – but not with Falcon. Falcon is devoting time and effort into getting machines out to customers quickly with the options they want and need.”
The Top 5 Reasons to Choose FalconNOW
It can be said that Falcon Asphalt Repair Equipment’s FalconNOW five-day quick ship program is revolutionizing the industry. When most products are shipped anywhere from 45 to 60 days, FalconNOW provides customers with a customized product in just five days. What are some of the other benefits of this program? Here are the top five reasons contractors should select FalconNOW.
1. Industry-Leading Speed
As mentioned earlier, the hot box industry typically has a 45- to 60-day delivery period unless customers order a stock machine that’s specifications couldn’t be changed. With FalconNOW, customers can expect a machine delivered in just five days from order date. That fast turnaround gets contractors on the ground running with a machine that’s ready to work.
2. Full Customization
With FalconNOW, customers are able to customize a machine to fit both their wants and needs. The program offers six models to choose from: a 6-ton recycler, 4-ton recycler, 4-ton transporter, 2-ton slip in, 1-ton mini asphalt recycler and hot box, and the most recent addition to the lineup, a 2-ton transporter.
From there, customers can choose between 18 customizable options including a 30-gallon heated tack tank, a hoist with manual or 12-volt electric winch, a spray system hose reel and more. That means customers can fix potholes, repair utility cuts and patch asphalt quickly and easily with specifications that meet their needs.
3. Dealer Support
Falcon prides itself on taking care of the customer. That service and responsibility doesn’t stop once the machine is delivered. FalconNOW offers excellent dealer support, with a service follow-up to make sure that the machine was delivered correctly and meets expectations.
4. Top-of-the-Line Versatility
Falcon machines are notoriously versatile. Not only can they transport cold or hot mix, but they’re also able to hold hot mix overnight – and keep it hot all day. They can heat and re-heat cold patches. And another feature? They can recycle leftover asphalt, chunks and millings.
When buying a new machine, it’s important for customers to have peace-of-mind that their purchase will last. The FalconNOW program guarantees that with a standard two-year warranty on all their machines. Falcon’s patented heat management system is engineered to provide even hopper temperatures, which prevents material scorching from hot spots and material hardening from cold spots. Also, each Falcon machine comes standard with a lifetime frame warranty.